Recognition for care sector staff who get their free flu jab – we need your support to promote this scheme
Following on from the success of last year, NHS England and NHS Improvement and Public Health England have re-launched an awards scheme to recognise the efforts made by the care sector, care homes, hospices and domiciliary care providers who have achieved a high level of flu vaccine uptake for their staff.
The purpose of this briefing is to ask for your help to promote this awards scheme and encourage care sector employers to continue their efforts to protect their staff and those they care for by reminding care sector staff to go along to their GP practice or participating pharmacy to be immunised against flu.
As you will be well aware, all care sector staff who have direct contact with residents/clients/patients should have the flu vaccine to help protect vulnerable patients and clients.
Flu and its complications are one of the main reasons that people get admitted to hospital from the care sector, particularly during winter. The flu immunisation programme is a highly successful public health intervention that saves many lives each year. Flu kills an average of 8,000 people every year. If more of us get the jab, we are giving ourselves and those we care for, the best protection against an unpredictable virus.
Individual organisations are encouraged to self-report their staff flu uptake, then based on the percentage of staff who have received the flu vaccine by 31 March 2020, certificates will be awarded based upon the following uptake:
- 70% of staff or above – gold accreditation
- 60-69% of staff – silver accreditation
- 50-59% of staff – bronze accreditation
For more information please contact:
- Cheshire, Merseyside, Warrington & Wirral: Suzanne Noon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cumbria and the North East: Ken Haggerty and Kathryn Dimmick at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greater Manchester: Janine Dyson at email@example.com
- Lancashire & South Cumbria: Annlouise Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yorkshire and Humber: Gil Ramsden email@example.com
Resources to help you promote the flu vaccination are available to download and order on the Public Health England website.